Saltimbocca is a popular dish in Italy, Spain, Greece and Switzerland. The word Saltimbocca literally means 'jumps in the mouth'. The dish is traditionally veal or chicken with prosciutto and sage; rolled up and marinated in Marsala, oil or basic brine. This dish changes slightly depending on the region – this is my take with a little barbecue flair.
This is a great recipe for the grill or smoker. If using a grill you can use a smoker pouch for that perfect smoked flavor. I like to use fruit woods for this dish, but have been known to use mesquite too.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
12-16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 pkg pre-sliced Provolone cheese
1 pkg prosciutto or tri-pack of soprosata, capicolo and prosciutto
1 bunch fresh sage (optional), chopped
1 disposable aluminum pan
2-3 sticks margarine
1 batch Molé BBQ Sauce, prepared
- Using gloves clean and trim the thighs making sure to inspect for proper de-boning.
- Unroll the chicken thigh and place on a cutting board. Using a piece of wax paper and a mallet flatten each thigh. An even thickness will ensure it cooks evenly.
- Sprinkle lightly with your favorite BBQ Rub or a little seasoning salt.
- Layer each piece with cheese and a piece of prosciutto. If I have fresh sage I will add a small amount of chopped sage to the middle. Diced Roma tomatoes go great with the sage too!
- Trim the chicken so it is uniform.
- Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Spread out the butter in the aluminum pan and cook using the butter bath method. Cook for 30-40 minutes hour at 300°F – the internal temperature of the chicken should be between 150-160°F.
- Remove from the pan and place chicken directly on the grates. Brush chicken with some of leftover butter from pan or turn them a few times before removing from pan.
- Cook for approximately 10 more minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170°F.
These are great served with warm Molé BBQ Sauce – I created the sauce specifically for this dish. The sauce complements with the savory with a little sweetness.
You’ve never had anything like it. Sit back and let these jump into your mouth!